The old stain and paint was sanded down to the bare wood. I also took the time to clean out all the old leaves, twigs and dirt from between the slats. I then applied two coats of an exterior primer/sealer to the top and sides of the table. The Mariner's Compass pattern was line out on the surface and the first set of colors was applied. If you closely, you can make out the compass pattern
This was undoubtedly the most interesting and fun barn quilt (on a table) that I've made. My next project will be a 6' rectangular picnic table that my wife and I bought, 40 years ago, when we were married. Before I work on it, I have to replace several boards due to rotting. But, this will be done over the next several weeks. So, stay tuned for another picnic table barn quilt creation!!