Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

My first 'Themed' barn quilt

You're probably wondering why I'm calling my latest barn quilt a 'Themed' one.   My brother in law Gary, who lives about 2 miles from me, started making maple syrup several years ago in a small building that was used for storage on his property.  At first, he started boiling the sap in a small pan on his kitchen stove!  Then he progressed to a bigger unit that was designed just for boiling sap.  When he started tapping more trees, 14 in all, he naturally collected more sap.  So, it was the logical thing to do to move the operation to the storage building. 
While reading Suzi Parron's book, Barn Quilts and the American Quilt Trail Movement, which I blogged on recently, I saw a photo of a barn with the maple leaf quilt block pattern hanging on the side.  I had an idea!!  I made a 2' x 2' version of that maple leaf pattern for Gary's sugar house.

When I brought my sap over (I have 2 maple trees tapped) I also brought over the barn quilt, which Gary had no idea that I made, and proceeded to hang it over the entrance to the 'sugar house'.  Now, I'm not bragging, but it looks pretty darn nice on the building!!!

What's nice about the location, is that the building faces the main road, so it should be visible by people driving by.  If anyone is interested in seeing the barn quilt, it's located at 100 South End Rd, Southington, CT.

I wonder now...........Could this be the starting point for a barn quilt trail in Connecticut?!  Or could it be my sister in law, Jean, who is Gary's sister and lives in Brookfield, CT, who has had one of my barn quilts, Log Cabin, hanging on the front of her house for over a year!!!


I would hate to get her mad at me, so I will say that she is the start of the barn quilt trail in Connecticut!!  The location of this barn quilt is 226 Whisconier Rd (Rte 25), Brookfield, CT and it can be seen from the road.

1 comment:

  1. Nice maple leaf barn quilt, Dave!
    Of course your SIL is the first one on the quilt trail in Connecticut.
    Your BIL is a strong second. You have to remember where the maple syrup comes from.

    ReplyDelete