Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

My trip to Vermont

On September 15, 2010 I blogged about meeting Fern Mercure from Sheldon, VT, who was instrumental in creating the first barn quilt trail in Vermont.  I became friends with Fern and stayed in contact with her.  My wife and I were making a trip to Vermont, over the Columbus Day weekend, and I contacted Fern to schedule a visit during our time there.
Fern had informed me that there was a second barn quilt trail that was created in Rickford, VT, about 30 miles North of Sheldon.  With the development of the second trail, combined with the first trail and a number of individual barn quilts that were created, there are now approximately 84 barn quilts in Northern Vermont!!!  The following is a website featuring the second trail, with a downloadable brochure showing the locations of the barn quilts.

http://www.richfordvt.org/historical.php

It was great to visit with Fern again.  She remains busy with her quilting and creating new barn quilts that she displays at her home.  She and I are standing in front of her first barn quilt, the Mariner's Compass!

No comments:

Post a Comment