Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

When I first started making barn quilts, I was confortable with the fact that my client's would tell me what colors they wanted for their barn quilts.  I would just purchase the color(s), if I didn't already have it and proceed with painting.  However, on several occasions, the client would tell me which pattern they wanted and then proceed to tell me to surprise them with the color choice.  I became somewhat uncomfortable with that, as I wanted to make sure that they were satisfied with the results.  In addition, what I may like as a selection of colors, the client may not like it.

That was the situation with the next barn quilt that I made.  I was contacted by Gail Links from Coffeen, Illinois who is good friends with Linda from Hillsboro, Illinois, who has two barn quilts from me and asked if I would make a barn quilt for her.  All she said was that she liked the Mariner's Compass, was going to hang it 'on point', and that it was going to hang on a tan garden shed with dark brown trim.  She would leave the color selection up to me!!!!!

So, I went on the Internet and looked at quite a few Mariner's Compass barn quilts to get some color idea's.  I was getting bored with the same blue, green and red combinations that I've used in the past.  I wanted something that would stand out from a distance.  I also was getting a bit tired of using white as the background color.   This is the result of my search for a unique Mariner's Compass.



As you can see I used a combination of yellows and oranges on a light blue background.  The original design was going to have a solid color on the points.  However, after going to the Machine Quilter's Exposition in Providence, RI with my wife last weekend, I saw quilts where the corners mirrored the main image.  I played around with some pencil sketches and came up with this.



I painted the background Royal Blue and then added the compass points in the same colors as the Mariner's Compass.  Then I used an old shower sponge to dab on the white and light blue colors to the Royal Blue.  It sort of gives it a celestial look. 
Gail from Illinois was thrilled with the looks of her barn quilt, which made me very happy.  It's a good feeling to know that you've made someone happy and they will proudly hang what you've created!
I'm just finishing my next barn quilt for my sister in law, Tina.  Can you guess what is going to be?
Another Mariner's Compass!!!!!!!!  This one will be unique also and you will see it shortly on my next blog!  Stay tuned...............

1 comment:

  1. This is the one I would like for my garage. It is gorgeous. I love the colors. Everything about it is what I want. Jeanne

    ReplyDelete