Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

This was 'slated' to be done!!!!

I guess this proves that you can paint a quilt pattern on anything!

 

A friend at work, who I made a 2x2 barn quilt for her New Hampshire cottage, in the Mariner's Compass pattern, brought in an old piece of roofing slate and asked if I could possibly paint a quilt pattern on it.   I have never painted on slate before and told that I would give it a try, but, I would promise anything.  I wasn't sure if the paint would adhere to the surface well and I was a bit apprehensive about taping off the different area's.  After I painted the white background, I applied a small piece of painter's tape to see what happened.  As I had expected, the tape pulled off the paint.   I ended up painting the 'card trick' pattern free-hand.  I used a nice square cut artist's brush.  The results came out very nice, if I do say so myself!  You can just make out the border that I painted, which is 'Hunter Green'.  After it was finished, I applied several coats of a clear sealant.  By doing so, I hope to prevent any unnecessary chipping in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment